Friday, August 31, 2012

My Issue: Our Planet

I'm just killing time waiting for my eggies to ovulate. I've been using the Clear Blue Easy digital ovulation test this month. I am really impressed with how high tech it is! It feels like I'm urinating on a smart phone. Hmm...is there an app for that?

In other news, my favorite NRP station has an interactive campaign where listeners can write in and explain what the most important issue is to them  this political season. I wrote in about my issue, the environment:

My wonderful sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Station, first made me aware of the impact human beings have on the environment. She educated us about the dangers of over-consumption, pollution, and deforestation. She taught us about the importance of recycling, reducing global warming, and conservation. She made me realize that our planet is precious and that our actions have consequences. Sadly, some 20+ years later, I’m frightened to see the environmental changes about which she warned us starting to come true in the form of chaotic weather patterns and extreme temperatures, such as the drought in the Midwest. Yet, neither candidate has spent much time, if any, addressing the issue in their campaigns. My husband and I are ready to begin a family and that’s making me more nervous than ever about the future of our planet. I believe we borrow the earth from our children, and it’s crucial we start protecting it for them before it’s too late. 
I'm going to start sharing a few of the ways I am trying to make simple changes in my life to help the planet since this is my blog and I wanna. A few years ago, I became incredibly aware of how prevalent plastic is in our lives. It can be found in most items we use on a daily basis -- from the bottle caps on our orange juice containers to our toilette seats to our cars. But it's important to remember that all of this plastic will eventually end up in landfills, oceans, and elsewhere and that it does not disintegrate for thousands of years.

Take a look at a few minutes of this video. It shows how even the tiniest pieces of plastic can end up in the bellies of sea birds. (I know it's depressing but it's happening and it's important to know about.) Plus, plastics are made from oil, and we all know how well big oil companies treat the environment.

I'm not perfect by any means, but here are five small things I do to try and reduce my dependence on plastic:

1. I avoid using plastic water bottles as much as possible by bringing water with me in travel mugs whenever I leave the house.

2. I wash and reuse plastic ziplock bags rather than tossing them after one use.

3. I bring my own shopping bags to the mall or supermarket, or I carry out smaller purchases by hand and refuse the bag altogether. 

4. I store leftovers in recycled carry-out containers or glass bowls rather than baggies or saran wrap.


5. I refill smaller containers, such as hand soap bottles, rather than throwing them away and replacing them.

And of course, when I do finish using a plastic container or bag, I always recycle it. If you have more ideas, please leave me a comment. I would love to hear them. And believe me, the irony that I am currently peeing on a multitude of plastic pee-sticks does not escape me. If someone has a more environmentally friendly option, I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alison,
    Enjoying your blog so far. Good sense of humor. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with conception (my husband and I are trying now too). Maybe we can be preggers at the same time, although at 42, it's possible my eggs are all shriveled up.

    ReplyDelete