Monday, August 27, 2012

Back 2 Skool!

My first day of class at USC is tonight. It feels quite surreal to be going back to school, which is why I'm looking at it less like going back to school, and more like going to a boot camp for writing. Last week I had the orientation sessions for my tutoring position (or consultant position as they refer to it) at the Writing Center where I'll be working 12 hours a week. The writing center is open to anyone affiliated with USC -- students, faculty, and even employees -- though it's mainly used by freshman and ESL students. I've never taught before in my life. Well, except for the five months I worked as a professional equestrian at a local show barn teaching riding. But even then I worked more with the horses than the humans; in other words, the four-legged creatures who couldn't talk back or complain.

The  thought of becoming a mother soon made me want to apply for this position. For one, I wanted to try to do something that will make a difference in peoples' lives and help me feel like I am part of the larger community. For another, I wanted to learn exactly how to teach and instruct. I tend to be a very direct, blunt person. At times I can be slightly impatient, as well as a bit critical. (Ahem) I know being a mom will put all these not-so-practical traits to the test so I figured I might as well get a jump on managing my imperfections shortcomings.  Look at me trying to better myself! What a good person I am.

Okay, now to work on my humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment