Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Having it All???

There's been a lot of controversy about an article that appeared in the Atlantic last month. It's called "Why Women Still Can't Have It All" and if you haven't read it, you can check it out here. The author, Anne-Marie Slaughter admits that despite all of the rhetoric from her generation, the truth is that there are still fundamental obstacles in the way our business culture is structured that make it difficult to impossible for women to actually "have it all."

Bummer for feminism. But great for me! Finally there's a silver lining to the fact that I have failed to achieve my professional dreams! After all, it's not difficult to choose between being a mom and having a career if you don't actually have a career, now is it? For years, I've been beating myself up (alternating with periods of self-loathing and downright depression as well) over the fact that I was apparently not good enough to break into Hollywood...as a comedian, as a writer, or as a singer/songwriter. A triple non-threat, if you will. 


But now, facing  the prospect of motherhood, it seems that perhaps my shortcomings have all been for the best. After all, my friends who have succeeded at real jobs -- as consultants, professors, teachers, and lawyers -- are having a very challenging time figuring out how to juggle it all. They've worked their entire lives to climb their respective corporate ladders, and now they are faced with the fact that there are only so many hours in the day to be a mom, a wife, and a professional. 


But not me, however! I'm a free woman. Failure never tasted so sweet.*


Okay, okay. I'm kidding. 


But in all seriousness, some women dream of becoming moms their whole lives. I didn't. I dreamed I would be a comedian. However, life has changed and that's no longer my priority. Letting go has been difficult to say the least. But after mourning the loss of that ambition, regathering my confidence, and preparing to set out in a new direction by focusing 100% on my writing, I am beginning to feel grateful once again that I have pursued a creative path, even if it hasn't turned out quite the way I expected it would. After all, earning a living as an author/copywriter/freelancer/script doctor, will afford me the one luxury that all working moms crave: flexibility. (Not to mention I get to work in my PJ's.)


And now, I am ready to fully embrace this new goal of becoming a mom. Plus, I get the feeling motherhood is going to make performing stand-up comedy seem like a breeze!


Perhaps "having it all" is more of a state of mind than a measurable level of achievement. Time will tell....


Yup. I'm a guitar comic. You gotta problem with that?!?


*One of these days, I'll write a blog post about my time in H-wood, the lessons I've learned the hard way, and the truths behind what it takes to succeed show business. For now, I can tell you that I still don't think anything is impossible. It just takes an amazing amount of sacrifice and a realistic appreciation for the facade that is the entertainment business. 





No comments:

Post a Comment